Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

I'm sorry, but I fucking hate when people fucking tell me "be careful".

I've hated this since I was a kid. This annoyance goes back to one of my core annoyances -- irrational fear derived from a poor understanding of risk.

Ok, I know what you're thinking: people who tell me "be careful" before a trip are just being nice, and they care about me. I will grant you that, sure.

But really, people. The true risks one encounters, whether abroad, in suburban suburbanyland, or in the big city of the USA, are considered and dealt with by any half-intelligent human in about the same way.

Is there ever a time when a thoughtful farewell of "be careful" actually resulted in that person who received that farewell having taken actions that he or should would not have normally taken?, ie, the "be careful" comment having helped? And even if a major fluke of an accident did take place -- like a car accident or slipping in the shower and breaking your skull -- could the most careful person have avoided it with even the most obsessive precautions taken?

Answer: no.

We live in a pretty safe world. The odds are in your favor to do whatever you want in over 190 countries and not come away harmed. "Be careful". What a shallow thing to say, based in fear.
Comments:
I think it's worse when people tell you to "be careful" AFTER you've tripped and fallen, or stubbed your toe, or whatever. I'm always like "how is it going to help that I be careful now, AFTER I've gotten hurt?" I've never understood why people do that.
 
My wife sometimes says "be careful" when I leave the house to go for a run or to go sailing. I agree that it doesn't make me act any differently, but I take it from her as an expression of love and concern.

I think most people who say "be careful" mean it that way. It's their way of saying, "I care for you and I want you back alive and in health."

Is that so terrible?
 
Tillerman,

Yea, it's not terrible. I'm just messing around.
 
I think it's more about the peace of mind of the person saying "be careful".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters