Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

South Korea has mastered the art of making beer labels look like detergent bottles.

I'm in Seoul for four days and the weather is bright cold like a crisp fall day in DC. I didn't have a lot of hope for this town but it turns out to be a massive, vibrant city with interesting-looking restaurants on every corner. The high rises sprawl throughout a valley kind of like Lima Peru and it's flanked by massive mountains and Kim Jong Il's missles a few tens of miles north of the city.

Today I went to an octopus and kim-chee restaurant (all they serve) and drank Hite beer which is lighter than all American beers put together and tastes twice as good -- sort of like Asahi Dry with a twinkle and a wink.

I've decided Korean food is my new favorite; it's all so sharp, strong and unafraid to present the food like it appears in nature -- for example, they serve live octopus that you cook fondu style. I'm gonna track some of that shit down, I swear.
Comments:
I can recommend some restaurants. Where do you live?
 
I live in DC. I did find some places in Anandale, VA which were good. Notably, Hee Been. Basically, you just drive to Anandale and take your pick.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters