Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Tchaikovsky

I rarely listen to orchestral or "classical" music. I know so little about it that I shouldn't write more than four sentences here.

Having said that, listening to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture today brought tears to my eyes. The only way to explain that reaction, I think, is that this piece simply is war, just put to music. Not just the fact that there are actual cannons in it, but certain sections have that "things falling apart" feeling mixed with religious chanting that sound so violent and destructive.

The 1812 Overture is hell.
Comments:
Your next step should be to hear it live. The blaring trumpets at the end play as loud as they can, yet there is still the second of deafness after each blast.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
Web Counters